[Tweeters] Fill Sora still around

Jeffrey Bryant jbryant_68 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 18:57:12 PDT 2010

Took a chance this afternoon that John Tubbs' juvenile Sora had stuck around.
Planted myself at the turtle log overlook, where I was entertained by three (!)
Green Herons; one adult and two young 'uns.  Also out in the cove, a first-year
Podiceps grebe that I assumed was a Horned Grebe, but upon double-checking
various guides, feel may well have been an Eared Grebe, based on bill shape and
head coloration.  The resident Pied-billed Grebes were giving him much grief.
If he's there tomorrow, I'll take a more informed look...
As I was pointing the grebe out to another birder, I heard the unmistakable call
of a Sora, and rudely rushed off to investigate.  The bird was very vocal,
calling about every 15 seconds for several minutes from some hidey-hole in the
cattails closest to the grassy trail.  He sounded to be moving westward, so I
positioned myself at the ONLY spot where you can actually see some muddy shore
under the cattails, and waited.  Eventually he DID allow several brief views.
I've been waiting about 8 years to find this bird at the Fill!  Thanks John and
Connie!

jeff bryant
seattle
jbryant_68 at yahoo