[Tweeters] RE: Wooodland Park raptor 'mystery'

mattxyz at earthlink.net mattxyz at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 30 20:02:11 PDT 2010

Well, I live close enough to the Zoo to try to investigate a little tonight.
As a couple of the Zoo folks have already said, I'd agree Cooper's
Hawk is the correct id on these birds. I couldn't go into the zoo
since it was after closing time, but from the west entrance you can
get a good view of the Zoo Tunes area: Around 7:30, a series of calls
started to ring out -- I only got one brief view of a raptor, but the
calls continued, obviously from multiple [2 or 3] birds, for the 20
minutes I sat there.

On listening to my cds afterwards, it seems to me to clearly match
the calls on the Cornell tapes listed as 'juvenile solicitation
calls' -- 'spEEEEow, spEEEEow spEEEow' is the transliteration they
give that fit pretty solidly. Nothing on the Northern Harrier
recordings came close.

Not a bad way to spend a bit of evening ---

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA