[Tweeters] FW: Acorn Woodpecker

annmariewood at comcast.net annmariewood at comcast.net
Mon Aug 30 23:14:52 PDT 2010

Hi Wilson:

FYI:  My son, GLENN Wood, and his family live in the restored school house on Balch Rd. His wife  is the 4th ge neration of the Hamm family who acquired and developed the land along both sides of Balch Rd.

While some of the property changed hands over the years, including the farm house and granery tree, three homes and hundreds of acres are still in the hands of Hamm descendants.....none of whom are birders, yet.  I'm still working on my grandchildren!

Cheers,

Ann Marie Wood

Mountlake Terrace, WA

----- "Wilson Cady" <gorgebirds at juno.com> wrote:

----- "Wilson Cady" <gorgebirds at juno.com> wrote:

I saw Acorn Woodpeckers using the granary tree in February and April of this year.  In the past they have nested near the house Roger mentioned up Balch Road just below the converted schoolhouse home of Galen Wood. Check both areas as they store acorns in the granary tree for their winter food supply and nest in the surrounding forest. And as the acorns ripen this fall the woodpeckers will be gathering them and bringing to the granary tree.

Wilson Cady
Washougal, WA