[Tweeters] Bufflehead underwater

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Wed Dec 29 12:32:51 PST 2010

Kelly,

Diving birds have to swim underwater with the feet exactly opposed. They are moved rapidly but over a fairly short stroke. I can envision them turning slow somersaults underwater if the feet were paddled below them, and I think they get much more power by opposing the feet and moving them in unison. The only exception I know of is in guillemots, which may paddle with their feet for short-distance propulsion while mainly swimming with their wings underwater.

One of the thrilling things of birding to me is seeing diving birds underwater. I wish I could see it a lot more often. I've always thought there should be underwater viewing chambers where diving birds are common. Maybe at the Seattle Aquarium with feeding stations?

Dennis
-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.