[Tweeters] Re: Song Sparrow's Odd Behavior

Kara Whittaker kara.whittaker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 22:11:04 PST 2010

Hi Paul,

I've had similar Song Sparrow behavior at my house in West Seattle,
presumably a male (or two?) attacking the sliding glass door window on our
deck and the driver's side mirror on my car. If I don't catch him in the
act, I can tell he's been around by the droppings he leaves behind. He has
been singing from a nearby perch lately. I have assumed he's just pumped
full of testosterone this time of year, looking to pick a fight with a
neighbor!

Cheers,

Kara Whittaker
West Seattle

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM, <pzfree-nature at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Tweets,

> I am hoping someone might have an explanation for me..

> I have a home office and hanging right outside my window are three bird

> feeders. They are 4-5 feet from where I sit and have been there for about

> year and a half now.

> There are flocks of both chestnut backed and black capped chickadees that

> feed on the sunflower seeds and the suet. There are Juncos, Towhees,

> Nuthatches the occasional House Finch and a few Song Sparrows. About a

week

> ago, I noticed a song sparrow hopping around in a bush in kind of a

circular

> fashion and he was fluttering his wings. I looked up in the Bird

> Behavior handbook and identified this as male courting behavior. Seems a

> bit early but it has been warm... There was a female perched on a branch

of

> my apple tree close by watching attentitively.

> After that day, the bird began to land on the window sill and look into

the

> house. He would also peck on the glass a bit and fly up and down pecking

on

> the glass. I opened the window and the bird flew into my office about 3

> feet, turned around and flew back out. He did this 4-5 times over an

hour.

> I closed the window and sure enough he started fluttering at the window

> again.

> He feeds on the higher feeder and then flutters to the window and

> pecks/flutters up and down. My windows are a mess with smeared bird

> saliva/suet/whatever. He flies at the window from dawn to dusk hundreds

of

> times per day for almost a week now.

> He appears to be looking into the room when he does it and not looking at

> his own reflection which might be trying to drive another male bird away.

> would think the angle of light would make him not reflective at some times

> so this also discounts the rival theory, I think...

> The poor guy must be totally worn out from this game. I remember him

doing