[Tweeters] Kumlien's Gull at NWR

tanwaxlake at comcast.net tanwaxlake at comcast.net
Wed Feb 10 22:31:17 PST 2010

Hi Tweets,

Call me crazy, but we had a very unique looking immature gull at Nisqually Wildlife Refuge this morning. A very light first cycle gull, no gray on mantle, lightly checkered upperparts with pink legs. The gull was slightly smaller then adjacent Glaucous-winged Gulls. At first we speculated the gull may have been a Thayer's or Iceland Gull because of the dove shaped head and minimal gonydeal angle. This bird was light, with light primaries that were long and extended to P6-P7 beyond the tail. Finally, the base of the beak was light green with a dark or black band around the tip of the beak. Researching in my Peterson Gulls of NA, a Kumlien's Gull looks like the bird we saw! One of us got a photo, so hopefully we can confirm! We saw the gull in the newly renovated riparian area just west of the new dike. Hopefully someone can confirm, cool stuff!

Good birding,

Shep Thorp
Browns Point
sthorp at theaec.com