[Tweeters] W. Seattle field trip report

Amy Schillinger schillingera at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 14 13:14:19 PST 2010

Tweeters,

I led a field trip- with my trusty co-leader Carol Schultz- Saturday 2-13
for Rainier Audubon in West Seattle. 3 people joined us, the low numbers I
assume being to the report of rain today. The rain stayed away until just
before 10am with little to no wind. I have listed highlights below but not a
full trip list.

We began along Harbor Ave. and stopped at Jack Block Park just before
Salty's. Just across the street was a sub-adult Bald Eagle perched in the
trees. Here we scanned the water and noted a beautiful male Anna's
Hummingbird singing at the tops of nearby trees. Great looks. We also had a
view of the Bald Eagle nest near Salty's, but saw no activity as it is a bit
early. 3 Harbor Seals were cruising around the barge as well.

Next we stopped along the Duwamish head. Here we had good close looks at
Horned Grebe rafts, Surf Scoters, a lone Western Grebe, and a Brant's
Cormorant.

We skipped the main Alki drag as parking was scarce and cut up 61st to Beach
Drive. The rocks along the bulkhead near 64th and Beach Drive gave us great
close up views of nearly 100 Brant feeding along the shore. Also notable
were the Harlequin Ducks, and approximately 20 Sanderling's spread out
amongst the rocks. One lonely Black Turnstone was also feeding on a rock.

Kiro news interviewed a couple of us regarding the Sea Lions that have been
shot and washing up on the beaches nearby.

South on Beach Drive we stopped at Me-Kwa-Mooks park just after the rain
began. Plenty of Yellow-Rumps, with one or two Myrtle's mixed in with the
Audubon's, were flitting about the tree tops. An Adult Bald Eagle was in the
top of a nearby Hemlock.

We decided to head back to our rendevouz spot in Renton with a side trip to
Coulon Beach first. Suprisingly empty waters off of Duck Island. Not much to
report other than lots of grazing Coots and a few Ring-billed Gulls. Our
group was surprised by a very brave Golden-crowned Kinglet dropping to our
feet to feed for a moment before jumping up into a two foot tall bush to
feed. Great views.

Amy Schillinger

Renton, WA

schillingera at hotmail.com