[Tweeters] An urban bird bonding experience

Rob Sandelin floriferous at msn.com
Wed Feb 17 16:45:11 PST 2010

I ended up riding the bus around the eastside trying to get home today. At
the Bellevue Transit center, in Downtown Bellevue, the sun came out and a
pair of Dark eyed juncos perched in adjacent, leafless trees and began
trilling back and forth. I stood in the sunshine and watched them and then
an older man came up and asked me about the birds. Then a mom with two kids
joined us, and a young women in a business suit. Then a couple of homeless
looking guys joined the crowd, and then a young guy on a bicycle. I ended up
doing an impromptu nature talk about territory, bird migrations, native
birds, spring...whatever seemed to come up. People kept asking questions,
it was like suddenly nature had become the focus of a flash mob. The bus
pulled up and we all dispersed. It magnified for me the power nature has on
people, something I take for granted where I live and work but it was even
more amazing in the middle of the Bellevue skyscrapers, with a handful of
strangers all mutually inspired by a pair of birds.

Rob Sandelin
Naturalist, Writer, Teacher
Snohomish County