[Tweeters] Hylebos Wetlands in Federal Way

Al Clark alndonna at wamail.net
Sun Feb 28 00:52:59 PST 2010

I drive past these wetlands 2-3 times each week, but seldom stop. On Friday
I did. The first 200 feet of path was quite birdy, with ruby crowned
kinglets, song sparrows, robins, goldfinches, pine siskins, and a Varied
Thrush, a lifer for me. This bird may be found at

The boardwalks back into the dense conifer forest netted zero birds. At the
far end the, lake had ring-necked ducks, gadwalls and mallards.

The real star of the show was the happy moss and ferns. This warm and damp
early spring make them brilliant. Too bad I didn't have a wide-angle lens
with me.

Al Clark

Northeast Tacoma