[Tweeters] Reminder: PSBO volunteer fair Sunday night!

Daniel R Froehlich danielfroehlich at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 02:25:43 PST 2010

Hi all,
Just wanted to send out a reminder about Puget Sound Bird Observatory's
volunteer fair Sunday evening.

See details below. Feel free to come for the volunteer event and stay for
the OWL project orientation, space permitting.

Dan Froehlich
President, Puget Sound Bird Observatory
Poulsbo, WA

Click to view this email in a browser
http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/584097/da65bb5e79/TEST/TEST/

Greetings PSBO Supporter,

Please join Puget Sound Bird Observatory on Sunday, Feb 28, at 5501
17th Ave NE, in Seattle's University District, for a volunteer open
house and OWL project orientation.

PSBO is an all-volunteer non-profit group whose mission is to better
understand and support native bird populations through engaged
citizens and active citizen science.

4-6pm: Volunteer fair: check out our current list of volunteer needs
and see where your skills and interests are best matched.

5-7pm: Learn about our new OWL Project and how you can help document
owl populations in the Puget Sound Lowlands.

Volunteer Open House 4-6pm
We have lots of volunteer needs for people with all kinds of skills
and interests. Some examples:

Fieldwork:
Bird-banding
Owl surveyors for OWL
Resight color-banded birds
Photographing PSBO events

Administrative:
Committee participation
Board members
Field site managers

Organizing:
Organize PSBO’s photos
Coordinate a PSBO picnic
Post event bird lists to eBird

Outreach:
Design outreach materials
Represent PSBO at events
Write a blog entry

As an all-volunteer organization, our active volunteers are motivated
by a desire to learn more about birds, to contribute to meaningful,
local conservation, and to build community.

Click here for more volunteer information.
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?PugetSoundBirdObserv/da65bb5e79/TEST/74831a2ce8/pg=volunteer

OWLS IN WASHINGTON LANDSCAPES (OWL) PROJECT 5-7pm
OWL mobilizes birders to document their owl observations throughout
the Puget Sound Lowlands. In 2010, we’re piloting methodologies for
formal surveys as well. Volunteers will identify a suitable site,
visit it at least four times between February 14 and April 15,
listening for and recording responses to playback.

Requirements: Commit to four long nights as well as prep time and
follow-up for data management.

Recommended: Familiarity with data collection, responsible handling
of expensive equipment, and willingness to learn to distinguish owl
calls.

Learn more about PSBO's OWL Project
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?PugetSoundBirdObserv/da65bb5e79/TEST/0cc8a9127b/pg=washington_owls

Drop by the volunteer open house anytime between 4-6pm and then stay
for the OWL orientation if interested.

We look forward to getting you involved,

PSBO Board of Directors
Daniel Froehlich
Mark Colombino
Chris Kessler