[Tweeters] Gaston HOODED ORIOLE: Wonderful - even in the rain

Will Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 11:52:10 PST 2010

Since I needed to be in Washington County by mid-morning, I decided to take a second look at the outstanding, winter plumage male HOODED ORIOLE, which, with a tad of patience is still quite visible.

Address:
412 1st street in Gaston, OR
NW corner of Cottonwood Street and 1st Street

Locations where Hooded Oriole was observed Thurs & Friday (Jan 7 & 8):
-Blackberry line on S side of Cottonwood and just uphill and W of the 412 house (Thurs only).
-Rear, right-side yard as seen from front of house. There is a hummingbird feeder at the rear corner of the house on this N side. Thursday, I saw the Oriole use this feeder three times in the 30 minutes I was there (~10:30 - 11AM). Today, (9 - 9:45AM) I did not see it use any feeder.
-From the right side rear corner HB-feeder there is a deciduous shrub about 15 feet across the yard to your right as you stand in the street facing the home and side yard. It seems to prefer this shrub. Behind and above this shrub is a deciduous tree that I only saw it use once.
- From Cottonwood, if you look along the left (W) side of the garage, you can see leafed shrubs at the rear corner of the building. When it was a steady mild rain, it twice used this shrub for cover, and was only partially visible unless coming or going. It was also seen briefly on the ground as seen from this vantage.

Other visitors (and quantities) to the yard and the yard next door uphill on Cottonwood:

California Quail (11)
Anna's Hummingbird (4)
Downy Woodpecker (1 - on suet hanging in tree Cottonwood side)
Black-capped Chickadee (3)
White-breasted Nuthatch (1 - in tree and feeder Cottonwood side)
Spotted Towhee (3)
Song Sparrow (2)
Golden-crowned Sparrow (3)
Purple Finch (8)