[Tweeters] Wenas Audubon Campout

Lee Rentz lee at leerentz.com
Wed Jun 2 08:32:54 PDT 2010

This was the first year that Karen and I attended the Wenas Audubon
Campout, and we hope to make it an annual trip. There were lots of
colorful birds this year, with great views of a Yellow-breasted Chat
during one field trip. In fact, it stayed up singing and beautifully
visible for so long that people in the group got a bit restless
watching it and started looking around for other birds! The family
of Long-eared Owls in Black Canyon was also a highlight, as was the
Loggerhead Shrike there that I identified in my rear-view mirror as I
was backing into a parking place. We also loved seeing three White-
headed Woodpeckers at once, and Lazuli Buntings, and Western
Tanagers, and all the rest.

For those who aren't sure about going to this camp: it is great
fun. You can be sociable, or not. Birds are everywhere. The
campground is big enough to absorb a thousand birders, even though
there were under 200 of us. We shared the campground with ATV groups
and horse riders, but that was OK. The whine of motorcycles and
whinnying of horses didn't deter the birds. The unwritten rule of
camp is to avoid politics, which is just fine with me, and to
concentrate on enjoying the great birds and wildflowers.

Lee Rentz
Shelton, WA