[Tweeters] Help with Identification of a Flycatcher

notcalm at comcast.net notcalm at comcast.net
Fri Jun 18 23:34:12 PDT 2010

Tweeters Community,

Identification question: I was recently in Eastern Washington near Ellensburg, elevation1500-2000 feet, in Meadows and Ponderosa Pines. I heard and found a Flycatcher calling.
Call: very assertive Kuwuk, Kuwok, approximately once per two minutes; orange mandible and dark tip in bright light, mostly at mid tree in Ponderosa pines and near top of small trees. One very interesting behavior: it would throw it's head back during each call note. This behavior must be characteristic of a common species, but I have not found reference to it.

Dan Reiff