[Tweeters] a question

Jeff Kozma jcr_5105 at charter.net
Mon Jun 28 18:47:16 PDT 2010

Eric and Tweeters,

Actually, skewed sex ratios are common in waterfowl and not a result of human disturbed/amended habitat. Many more females a year are killed than males, because females alone incubate and care for the eggs/ducklings. Thus, there are naturally more males in many waterfowl species than females. When a female looses her first nest or brood, she will attempt to renest and thus mate again. Sometimes, her original mate has already left and she must find a new mate...that puts her in direct contention by many males whose mates already successfully nested and/or males that never got to mate originally. This results in a sort of free for all or "rape" (for lack of a better term) and if many males mate with her, they assure that at least some of their genes are passed on as well. I have never heard of a female being killed by this behavior, but it can be disconcerting to watch and see what the poor hen has to endure.

Jeff Kozma

Yakima

j c r underscore 5105 at charter dot net