[Tweeters] Whatcom Co. 3/19, Montlake Fill 3/20

Doug Parrott bird_cage at msn.com
Sun Mar 21 11:28:11 PDT 2010

Hi Tweets,

Visited Blaine and Semiahmoo on Friday the 19th then the Fill on the 20th. Nothing unusual in Whatcom Co with the exception of some Common Loon belly flop landings, and what I call wing walking. This is where they use their feet and wings to propel themselves across the water for quite a distance. I'm not sure what causes them to do that unless there's something lurking underwater that spooks them. There were quite a few seals and a few Sea Lions out and about.

At the Fill I saw my 1st Say's Phoebe and Purple Finch of the year. Great way to start Spring. In addition there were Cedar Waxwings, Goldfinch and Yellow-rump Warblers chasing around, Tree Swallows, One Coopers Hawk hiding from the Crows, and the usual assortment of Ducks and Geese. Also heard but not seen was a very elusive Virginia Rail across the bridge next to the soccer stadium.

Photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdhouse_wa/sets/72157623539514897/<http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdhouse_wa/sets/72157623539514897/>

Doug Parrott
bird_cage at msn.com<mailto:bird_cage at msn.com>
Edmonds Wa.