[Tweeters] Ivory-bill website

Michael Schrimpf schrimpf at u.washington.edu
Sun Mar 21 13:55:05 PDT 2010

I am usually hesitant to enter into listserv debates, but here are some
ornithological citizen-science projects that I would argue produce "good"

e-Bird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
The Great Backyard Bird Count: http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/
The Christmas Bird Count: http://www.audubon.org/Bird/cbc/
The Coastal Observation and Seabird Survey Team (COASST):
and there are plenty more...

Granted, many such projects receive either leadership or guidance from
"professional" scientists, but I would hesitate to simply discount all of
citizen-science because of a few projects that are not as rigorous as we
might like.

-Michael Schrimpf,

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Jim Greaves <lbviman at blackfoot.net> wrote:

> Inconclusive, tenuous statements like "we are confident...we

> photographed..." make it likely they have neither seen nor photographed what

> they claim. If the confidence is there, where are the photos? They should

> not be posting this stuff until they have something they can actually prove

> is what they claim it to be. Instead they plead for privacy, while

> publicizing non-substantive results. Citizen-science is not science - Jim

> Greaves, MT

> At 01:00 PM 3/21/2010, tweeters-request at mailman2.u.washington.edu wrote:

>> March 20th

>> I stumbled onto a website that may be of interest to Ivory-billed

>> Woodpecker chasers:

>> http://www.south-run.com/coyote/summary.htm

>> I haven't read much of it yet, but there it is.

>> Phil Hotlen

>> Bellingham, WA

Michael Schrimpf
Graduate Student