[Tweeters] Closing access to the fill ponds

Karli Shanklin pyrografika at gmail.com
Sun May 16 20:16:16 PDT 2010

Hello Tweets,

This will be my first post here after following all of you for the past few
months in self-conscious silence. I, too, am torn by the idea of limiting
access at the Fill, but in the end realize that the health of the natural
population must be preserved if we are to continue enjoying the glimpses
into that world that draw us there in the first place. I don't own the best
optics and admit that I have been one of those birders wondering off trail
in an attempt to get close enough to an elusive bird to make a good shot. I
looked for signs to indicate what was off limits and what wasn't, but didn't
see any, so wrongly assumed that it was like any ordinary public park where
you can walk around where you like. The Fill is not "any ordinary park",
though, and to keep it that way, we must give it extra care. I could wish
for more walkways, even raised boardwalks and blinds like we find at larger
Natural Wildlife Reserves, but I'd also need to wish for the funds to
provide them. We are blessed to have such an Urban Oasis as the Montlake
Fill provides. If preserving it means limiting our access to one side of a
pond, or at a distance from a shoreline, then so be it. We'll just have to
pray a bit harder for those moments of pure luck when the bird we're hoping
to see dains to make an appearance nearby. That just makes it all that more
precious, doesn't it?

Karli Shanklin
Burien, Wa.
pyrografika at gmail.com