[Tweeters] Woodland Bottoms-Cowlitz County

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Tue Nov 9 16:26:07 PST 2010

Barry Woodruff and I had a pretty good day of birding the Cowlitz County, Woodland Bottoms after striking out on the Rusty Blackbird near Ridgefield. The BLACK PHOEBE was heard then seen at the cattle feed operations on Dike Access Rd. where it has been for several weeks now, along with about a half dozen EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES. Further south on Dike Road, past the RV Park, we scanned the flock of ducks and grebes on the Columbia River and spotted 2 male SURF SCOTERS, 2 juvenile WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS and 2 female RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS among the scaup and WESTERN GREBES. About a quarter mile south of here we found a COMMON LOON in with a few cormorants. The little park on Horseshoe Lake in the town of Woodland had an adult THAYER'S GULL among the RING-BILLED, GLAUCOUS-WINGED and HERRING GULLS. Not a bad day even though it started out poorly with a deer running into the side of my truck as I headed for Clark County. The deer survived. Wilson Cady
Skamania County, WA