[Tweeters] Eurasian Collared Dove struck by Cooper's Hawk

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Sun Nov 14 08:56:54 PST 2010

HI, Kelly.

Pigeons and doves are well known for the looseness of attachment of their feathers, presumably an antipredator adaptation. So even a light strike could dislodge a lot of them.

In my mistnetting days we always hated to catch ground-doves, as just by gently taking them out of the net there would be feathers all over the place.

But I'll have to admit that bird lost a lot of feathers, looked like much of its tail.

Dennis

On Nov 13, 2010, at 12:03 PM, tweeters-request at mailman2.u.washington.edu wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:56:27 -0800

> From: "Kelly McAllister" <mcallisters4 at comcast.net>

> Subject: [Tweeters] Eurasian Collared Dove struck by Cooper's Hawk

> To: "'Tweeters'" <tweeters at u.washington.edu>

> I started feeding birdseed three days ago. As I walked past the feeders this

> morning, there were two Eurasian Collared Doves on the ground beneath the

> feeders. They flushed as I walked past. I went down to the lower pasture to

> work on a fence. I was kneeling when I heard a rush of wings. I turned and

> looked up, only to see feathers floating down about 30 feet away from me. A

> flock of crows came in and landed in the tops of nearby trees, apparently in

> mob mode. I walked around, peering into the trees and finally saw a Cooper's

> Hawk as it departed the large maple tree. It didn't have anything in its

> talons and only a minute or two had passed since seeing the feathers

> floating down.

> I took pictures of the feathers that I picked up off the ground. If you want

> to have a look, go here:

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29002564@N08/5169977505/

> I'm pretty sure the Cooper's Hawk struck a Eurasian Collared Dove, pretty

> hard. Just minutes ago, I saw two of them fly by the window. I'm wondering

> how badly the bird was injured.

> Kelly McAllister

> north of Olympia, WA (off Hawk's Prairie Road)

-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.
Seattle, WA 98115