[Tweeters] Olympia ducks

Guttman,Burt GuttmanB at evergreen.edu
Mon Nov 22 09:09:40 PST 2010

Capitol Lake, in Olympia, is generally a fine place for winter viewing of water birds, and it looks like this will be a good year. Large flocks of diving ducks at various places on the lake--Scaup (I didn't try to distinguish species in a quick survey), Buffleheads, and Ring-necks, with a lot of American Wigeons mixed in. I didn't notice any Eurasian Wigeons, but of course a few usually show up every year. My quick survey, again, didn't reveal any of the rarer, more interesting ducks such as Canvasbacks and Redheads; I'll go back sometime soon and get a closer look.

Burt Guttman
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, WA 98505 guttmanb at evergreen.edu <mailto:guttmanb at evergreen.edu>
Home: 7334 Holmes Island Road S. E., Olympia, 98503