[Tweeters] Frustrating Golden Crowned Kinglets

notcalm at comcast.net notcalm at comcast.net
Fri Nov 26 18:43:05 PST 2010

Hello Blair,

I do a lot of video photography. I find that small birds are the most difficult to photograph. Some people have used callers to bring the birds close, sometimes allowing a close pause of an individual, and they have found this to be effective. It is a "Sora" subject for others.

Sometimes, I find the following effective:
Watch the general pattern of movement of the flock, including individuals, if possible.
Move beyond their position, in the expected path of movement, prefocus your camera on a shrub of approximately the same height as the pattern you have observed. Don't look directly at the birds as they approach and remain as still as possible. Most importantly, try for shots that are less than frame filling. More distance or wider angle will dramatically improve your chances of a great shot. Because the bird will often be in focus and in the image field, without chasing the erratic movement patterns. Repeat this process and you will eventually get a nice shot.

Using this method appears to be minimally intrusive to the birds. If they are uncomfortable with your presence, they are unlikely to move toward you. If you are patient and spend the necessary time, flocks will ignore you and move closer or at times appear curious and may move in,very close.

Lastly, if I view a video"capture" and the bird does not or very infrequently glances at me, I am happy with the experience.
My goal is to be at ease, accepted or functionally invisible to the birds being filmed. I am trying to study the behavior of the species and enjoy the beauty of each species.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Dan Reiff