[tweeters]: Sunday Solitaire Sighting in Seattle

Kevin Mack kevin_mack at comcast.net
Sun Nov 28 10:07:31 PST 2010

Hi Tweets,

I¹ve mostly been a lurker on this list for the past three months as I
relocated to West Seattle and have been getting settled in here. I was
almost motivated to post when I saw a Scrub Jay appear in my yard, but it
seems that this was not an unusual sighting this year. :o)

This morning my wife and I took a walk around part of the north end of West
Seattle. As we were walking along SW Stevens Street along the north edge of
Schmitz Preserve, we encountered a Townsend¹s Solitaire. The bird seemed
fairly curious about us and came in close so we had an excellent view. As
we walked west down the street, the solitaire kept flying ahead of us and
landing on telephone wires or low shrubs that were right in our path. After
relocating about 4 times, the bird tired of the game and flew off toward the
north.

We continued walking down to Constellation Point where we encountered
Double-Crested Cormorants, miscellaneous gulls, Harlequin Ducks, a lone
Sanderling and a raft of Surf Scoters. As we headed north to Alki we saw
Red-breasted Mergansers, a large raft of Buffleheads and the usual array of
passerines that hang out in the area (crows, Song and House Sparrows,
American Robins, European Starlings). I¹m enjoying my new neighborhood
quite a bit.

I have one more sighting to report from the day after thanksgiving. It is a
little bit on the gross side though, so if you have a weak stomach you may
not want to read on. Anyway, my wife and I stopped at Deception Pass State
Park on Friday. A family pulled into the parking lot and one of their
children had apparently eaten a little too much for breakfast. The poor kid
got rid of said breakfast there in the parking lot and then the family left.
After they left, a mob of crows flew in followed by a lone raven. Now,
there was nothing unexpected about these two bird species taking advantage
of the free meal, but we were a bit shocked to see a Great Blue Heron join
the group. The heron, raven and crows squabbled for quite awhile over the
pile of ick. Anyone else ever see a heron scavenging something unexpected
like this?

Kevin D. Mack
Seattle, WA
www.goatislandimages.com