[Tweeters] RE: Tweeters Digest, Vol 75, Issue 11: really!

Messick, Katie Katie.Messick at kingcounty.gov
Fri Nov 12 09:26:36 PST 2010

Hi Tweets,

I'm a day behind, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the digest from Wednesday 11/10. I'm saving it to read more thoroughly later -- there's so much fantastic information, so much to learn about range expansions, historical sightings, Lewis' Woodpecker behavior, etc. I think this snapshot of tweeters shows how valuable this resource is, and how wonderful, welcoming and knowledgable the birding community in this region is! Thank you to everyone!

And I agree with Darlene:

" Anyway, I hope all of you will continue to report their [scrub jays] appearance as
well as all the other common birds. Remember what is common in your
backyard may not occur in mine..."

On that note, I was out in my very small urban backyard (that I'm trying to turn into a forest) yesterday and suddenly found myself surrounded by the sort of mixed flock I'd expect on a birding walk in a far wilder environment: bushtits, black-capped and chestnut-backed chickadees, a red-breasted nuthatch and a golden-crowned kinglet (first ever in the yard!), plus a bright male flicker, two Steller's jays, a song sparrow, a Bewick's wren, and a whole horde of juncos. I was so happy I almost cried. To have such bounty in my backyard, what a gift!

Katie Messick
Katie.messick -at- kingcounty.gov