[Tweeters] Montlake Fill birds this afternoon

Evan Houston evanghouston at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 23:03:07 PST 2010

Hi Tweeters,

At the Montlake Fill this afternoon (11-24-10), I was pleasantly surprised by a
nice variety of birds feeding in the snow (probably not so good news for them
that so many were feeding so conspicuously, and likewise not so good that many
of the songbirds looked quite cute being so puffed up): Highlights included:

- Common Yellowthroat - feeding in nice mixed flock in weedy field south of
- Orange-crowned Warbler - 1 each olive-green and gray-headed forms, 1 was
associating with yellowthroat
- Yellow-rumped Warbler - regular winterer at Fill
- Sparrows - all regular winter sparrows including about 4 Lincoln's feeding in
weedy fields
- Hermit Thrush - main parking lot near greenhouse
- Peregrine Falcon - 2 flew over vocalizing noisily at dusk
- I ran out of daylight before being able to survey all of the waterbirds on the
lake, but some of the less common ducks included 1 male Eurasian Wigeon, 4 Ruddy
Ducks, and a few Canvasback.
- A Varied Thrush, an uncommon visitor at the Fill, was singing from the Surber
grove area on Sunday.

Good birding,
Evan Houston
Seattle, WA