[Tweeters] Magnuson Park Bohemian Waxwings still there

John Puschock g_g_allin at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 27 09:30:07 PST 2010

The Bohemian Waxwings were still at Magnuson Park this morning (11/27/10). I counted 14, but there could be a few more. They were in a tree in the southwest corner of the Kite Hill parking lot when I arrived at 7:47 AM. A birder already on the scene said they had just flown in. Later, they flew into the tallest tree near the northeast corner of the lot, flew north to a crabapple around the fin sculptures but were quickly flushed by a Cooper's Hawk. Most flew to the southwest, but two stuck around the parking lot area until 8:49 when they flew off to the west with a small flock of robins. There were a few fly-by Evening Grosbeaks during that time.

There is a running event going on at the park right now, so the Kite Hill parking lot is pretty full. There quite a few crabapples in this area, so I suspect the waxwings will be back. I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with the call. That's usually the easiest way to find them.

John Puschock
Wedgwood, Seattle
g_g_allin at hotmail.com