[Tweeters] More Battle Ground migration - LEWIS'S WOODPECKER

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 11:01:57 PDT 2010

At10:35 this morning, a single LEWIS'S WOODPECKER flew south visibile from
my yard on the west side of Battle Ground, Clark County. Other species this
morning included (as of 10:45):

Cooper's Hawk - 1 (migrant - direct north to south)
Peregrine - adult direct flight south
Band-tailed Pigeon - 24 (two groups - 15 and 9)
Evening Grosbeak - 62
Cedar Waxwing - 29
Pine Siskin 16
Varied Thrush - 2
Violet-green Swallow 5
American Pipit - 3
American Robin - 209 (seeason high count and growing daily)
Yellow-rumped Warbler 22 (mostly flyovers - includes both Audubon's and
Myrtle - 3 around yard - 2 Audubon's and one Myrtle)
Black-throated Gray Warbler - 2
Purple Finch - 3
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 1 (noteworthy because my yard doesn't attract or
hold any zonos)
Red-shafted Flicker - 4 (the first time I've seen them in apparent migration
mode from the yard
Dark-eyed Junco - 20 (including one Slate-colored type which looks identical
to the one that has wintered at my feeders the last three years)

Highlights from yesterday included a late Western Tanager, one
Orange-crowned Warbler, 20 Vaux's Swifts and a flock of 18 Steller's Jays.

Notes: Song Sparrows noticeably increasing and who knows how many of the
goldfinches are miugrants.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward (except while driving).

Jim Danzenbaker
Battle Ground, WA
jdanzenbaker at gmail.com