[Tweeters] Autumn at Carkeek

Jon Leland jon_leland at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 19:01:40 PDT 2010

It seems that every time Ive been out the last couple of weeks, the evidence
that Fall is here just continues to accumulate.  Today after work, I took a
quick visit to Carkeek Park.  It made my day to see a winter flock of American
Wigeons had started to arrive in good numbers. Interspersed with the ducks
was company of a healthy and active mix of juvenile, breeding, and alternate
plumaged larids, including an adult Herring Gull.  To round out the afternoon, I
enjoyed a front row seat to a heated arguement between a Belted Kingfisher and
an American Crow that lasted more than 15 minutes.  Although I didnt catch the
finer details of the dispute, it was pretty obvious that the crow that was the
aggressor...but matter how hard it tried, the Kingfisher was always just a tiny
bit faster and more agile.  The crow eventually gave up his pursuit, probably
completely exhausted after the vigorous workout.

Jon Leland
Seattle WA

Observation Report
Location name: Carkeek Park
Observation date:  10/1/10 4:15PM
80 American Wigeon
2 Red-necked Grebe
6 Double-crested Cormorant
5 Heermann's Gull
60 Ring-billed Gull
X Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid)
20 California Gull
1 Herring Gull
50 Glaucous-winged Gull
1 Anna's Hummingbird