[Tweeters] Turkey Vultures, Eur. Collared Doves, etc. - Enumclaw Plateau

Aquila Chrysaetos ladyhawk707 at msn.com
Sat Oct 2 20:18:38 PDT 2010

Tweeters,
Just before noon today, a kettle of ten Turkey Vultures were circling and ascending, then peeling off to the south in windless and overcast conditions. (Block KG82 on the Breeding Block Atlas)
Yesterday, a pair of Eurasian Collared Doves spent nearly two hours mostly hidden at the top of a pine tree in the yard, with one singing much of the time. Today, there was more singing in the same tree, then one dove made several trips to a nearby pine, collected needles and returned to the first tree, placing them near the second dove.
Two Western Scrub Jays, along with several Steller's Jays, have been harvesting and stashing red oak acorns in the yard the past week. There are plenty more acorns if any Lewis's or Acorn Woodpeckers are interested.
Also seen in the yard recently: a Fox Sparrow, a Winter Wren, a Brown Creeper, Evening Grosbeaks, Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Red-naped Sapsucker, Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglets, Golden-crowned and White-crowned Sparrows. The Junco population doesn't seem to have increased appreciably yet and I have not seen a Varied Thrush, though I have heard one in the distance the past week or so.
Sandy Daniels, Enumclaw Plateau, King County
Ladyhawk707 AT msn DOT com