[Tweeters] Anna's Romancing in Sept/Oct

amy schillinger schillingera at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 09:15:40 PDT 2010

Tweeters, et. al,

Just yesterday I heard that familiar "cheek" just outside my front door. When I looked, I saw a male Anna's dive right in front of me (and my Vine Maple). I looked in front of me and saw a female on a branch in the maple. He continued this for about 5 minutes and then landed on our chimney facing the sun. The colors on his head and gorget were spectacular! Definately not a juvenile, but a mature male. I watched a show (I don't remember which one-maybe PBS?) that did a study of Anna's doing this display dive and they discovered (or confirmed) that the sound IS made from their tail feathers just as they complete the dive.

Amy Schillinger
Renton, WA
schillingera at hotmail.com