[Tweeters] Anna's Romancing in Sept/Oct

Adam Sedgley sedge.thrasher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 11:43:31 PDT 2010

The recent PBS special "Hummingbirds: Magic in the Air" featured a special
section on this "cheek" sound. Researchers using high-speed cameras found
that the chirp was the male splaying it's tail feathers at the end of the
dive (where they pull 10G's after diving at about 60 mph).

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/hummingbirds-magic-in-the-air/video-full-episode/5475/
(move
the cursor to 26:15 for the Anna's Hummingbird section, but the entire
episode is worth a watch)

Adam

--
Adam Sedgley