[Tweeters] Lewis's Woodpecker "invasion"-- further thoughts

Roger Moyer rogermoyer1 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 18:24:56 PDT 2010

I would expect that Lewis's Woodpeckers are nesting in the lower part of Oak Creek Canyon on Hwy 12 just west of Yakima. It is comprised of oak woodlands. Last year I counted nearly 30 of them in only about an hour. This was in a strech of about 3/4th of a mile along the road. This August I counted 15-18 in the same area. And this was in about 30 minutes in the middle of the day. I didn't do a through count by any strech of the imagination. So I would second Wilson's comments about the birds nesting in oak woodlands.

Roger Moyer
Chehalis, WA