[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 10/6/10

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Wed Oct 6 17:36:02 PDT 2010

Hello, tweets.

I spent an hour at Magnuson Park on this beautiful sunny afternoon on the way home from running errands, and I found 11 species of dragonflies still active: Spotted Spreadwing, Tule Bluet, Pacific Forktail, Paddle-tailed Darner, Common Green Darner, Blue-eyed Darner, Eight-spotted Skimmer, Variegated Meadowhawk, Saffron-winged Meadowhawk, Cardinal Meadowhawk, and Striped Meadowhawk.

There was an adult male Cooper's Hawk near the "rice paddy" ponds, where I had seen an immature earlier, and a juvenile Northern Harrier in the same area. Male Gadwalls were already in full mating display, definitely ahead of the Mallards, most of which still bear remnants of eclipse (basic) plumage. A few female Northern Shovelers have joined the resident ducks. Still Steller's Jays harvesting acorns, but no Acorn Woodpecker.
-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.
Seattle, WA 98115