[Tweeters] Ross's Goose in Yakima

Denny Granstrand dgranstrand at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 18:57:17 PDT 2010

Hi Tweeters,

Jim Christensen found a Ross's Goose on the pond at Randell Park this
morning. It was still there at noon when a flock of birders swarmed
in. Most of the time we were there (1 1/2 hours) the goose stayed on
the small island in the pond, sleeping and preening. It finally took
a swim around the pond and gave us great views.

This is the first record of Ross's Goose in Yakima County.

There was quite a discussion among the observers as to whether this
was a "pure" Ross's Goose or a hybrid. Our final conclusion is that
it is a pure Ross's Goose. We will welcome comments from anyone
interested in looking at the photos.

Photos of the Ross's Goose are in the new photos folder on my website
(www.granstrand.net/gallery/). One of Jim's photos is now on the