[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR Wed. morning walk 10/6/10

Shep Thorp tanwaxlake at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 17:35:36 PDT 2010

Hello Tweeters,

Twenty of us enjoyed a wonderful morning, initially foggy the skies started
to clear around 10:30am and the temperature was in the 50’s (Fahrenheit).
The Cacklers are back in large numbers, with lots of movement around the
refuge. Numbers of other waterfowl are steadily increasing and with the
recently flooded fields adjacent to the access road and the soon to be
flooded fields south of the Twin Barns we anticipate increasingly better
viewing. Restoration progress can be viewed at
www.nisquallydeltarestoration.org
<http://www.nisquallydeltarestoration.org/> , and www.fws.gov/nisqually/
<http://www.fws.gov/nisqually/> . Highlights included lots of singing,
partial songs, from Song Sparrow, Golden-crowned Sparrow, Fox Sparrow and
Ruby-crowned Kinglet. An adult Great Horned Owl, which we speculate is one
of the owlets from February, was observed in a large cottonwood on the
inside of the boardwalk from the northeast corner of the loop. We saw three
falcon species, and once again observed the American Kestrel harassing the
Merlin as it hunted the region north of the new dike. Many American Pipits
were migrating through and for the second week we saw our visiting Great
Egret with views from both the Twin Barns and the New Dike. The Great Blue
Herons will harass the Great Egret off individual’s hunting grounds
routinely, interesting behavior to observe. 60 species seen with no new
birds for the year, here are the numbers:

Location: Visitor Center Pond Overlook
Cackling Goose 50
Canada Goose 20
Northern Pintail 3
Glaucous-winged Gull 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Black-capped Chickadee 1
American Robin 5
European Starling 30
Red-winged Blackbird 10

Location: Access Road Flooded Field Overlook
Mallard 6
Northern Shoveler 1
Northern Pintail 6
Green-winged Teal 3
Ring-necked Duck 1
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Killdeer 1
American Crow 2
Golden-crowned Sparrow 10
American Goldfinch 2

Location: Fields South of Twin Barns (flooded in the winter)
Greater White-fronted Goose 1
Cackling Goose 100
Canada Goose 100
Bald Eagle 1
Northern Harrier 1

Location: Boardwalk Loop Trail
Notes: Our group heard lots of birds singing, specifically Song Sparrow,
Golden-crowned Sparrow, Fox Sparrow and Ruby-crowned Kinglet.
Wood Duck 1
Mallard 10
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Rock Pigeon 30
Great Horned Owl 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 6
Barn Swallow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 10
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 1
Bushtit 10
Brown Creeper 3
Bewick's Wren 6
Winter Wren (Western) 3
Golden-crowned Kinglet 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 10
Swainson's Thrush 4
Cedar Waxwing 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 10
Spotted Towhee 2
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) 4
Song Sparrow 20
White-crowned Sparrow 2
Golden-crowned Sparrow 20
American Goldfinch 6

Location: Twin Barns Overlook
Great Blue Heron 2
Great Egret 1
Northern Harrier 1
Killdeer 10
Savannah Sparrow 2
Song Sparrow 4
American Goldfinch 3

Location: New Dike
Notes: The Great Egret and American Kestrel seen in this area were also
seen initially at the Twin Barns Overlook
Canada Goose 50
Gadwall 20
Mallard 30
Northern Shoveler 5
Northern Pintail 20
Green-winged Teal 30
Hooded Merganser 6
Double-crested Cormorant 10
Great Blue Heron 30
Great Egret 1
Northern Harrier 2
American Kestrel 1
Merlin 1
Peregrine Falcon (Continental) 1
Killdeer 30
Greater Yellowlegs 15
Mew Gull 1
Ring-billed Gull 20
Glaucous-winged Gull 10
Belted Kingfisher 1
American/Northwestern Crow 10
Common Raven 1
Marsh Wren 1
European Starling 50
American Pipit 30
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 4
Song Sparrow 5
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Golden-crowned Sparrow 4
Red-winged Blackbird 10
Western Meadowlark 7

Until next week when we walk again at 8am, good birding!

Shep Thorp
Browns Point
253-370-3742
sthorp at theaec.com <mailto:sthorp at theaec.com>