[Tweeters] Reaction to death or coincidence? Odd Towhee call

Rob Sandelin nwnature1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 20:40:36 PDT 2010

Today I thought I had a new bird in my yard, as there was a call I had never
heard before coming from some shrubs near a window. It turned out to be a
Towhee, making a very unique call I had never heard before. It was perched
on a branch, calling over and over again. I noticed something on the ground
almost underneath the bird, which turned out to be a window killed
Towhee....I wondered if the odd repeated call was some kind of reaction to
the other birds death, or just an odd coincidence. I have never heard about
any sort of mourning behavior from songbirds before but then again, there
are lots of things I have never heard about. I have heard of swans
reacting to the death of a mate but nothing about smaller birds.

Rob Sandelin
Naturalist, Writer, Teacher
Snohomish County