[Tweeters] Point Defiance - Sabine's Gulls

Ryan Shaw rtshaw80 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 10 23:04:05 PDT 2010

Stopped by Point Defiance for about an hour this afternoon from 3:15-4:15.

Was joined by Evan Houston for part of it, we found one of the Juvenile Sabine's Gulls sitting on the water at the Owen Beach access. There was quite the cloud of Bonaparte's Gulls here as the tide was coming in. I picked up another Sabine's Gull in a feeding flock of mostly Boney's and looked back just to make sure it was a different bird, found the other Sab still sitting on the water.

At the Dalco Point Overlook, found many many more Bonaparte's Gulls feeding on baitfish of some kind, and harrassing them was one subadult Parasitic Jaeger. Couldn't pull out a Franklin's Gull, but I'll take two Sabine's in the sound anyday!

Cheers and Good Birding

Ryan Shaw
Tacoma
rtshaw80 at hotmail.com