[Tweeters] First Hill Scrub Jay

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 14 09:23:42 PDT 2010

Hey all,

To add to other posts in the last few weeks about Western Scrub Jays at the Fill, and Redmond. I've had a couple of sightings of them in the last few weeks - also cases where I've seen the birds a little outside of what I would think of as "their area".

Today, I had a Scrub Jay at the Northwest School on First Hill (Summit and Union). I have read reports of a Scrub Jay pair on the Seattle U campus - probably one of those birds on a little excursion.

A week ago, I had a Scrub Jay at Teasdale Park in Renton - maybe a mile south of downtown Renton, where I have seen a pair off and on over the last several years.

I've been trying to figure out what it is about these birds that has me mapping them in my head. I think it's a few things: There aren't that many of them in the county (a dozen? two dozen?), but they are so gregarious that it's hard to miss them when they are around. They are also a nice mix of 'local' (there's the Kent Ponds pair, the Queen Anne pair, etc.) but many of them roam around enough that they can still surprise you by being or not being somewhere. Hard to think of other birds around here that are quite like them in all of those regards.

Happy birding!

-Tim Brennan
Renton