[Tweeters] Skamania County Accipiters

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Thu Oct 14 18:57:53 PDT 2010

For the last two weeks a couple of juvenile SHARP-SHINNED HAWKS have been spending a couple of hours each morning harassing the songbirds at our feeders here in the west end of the Columbia River Gorge. After the first few passes the only things that haven't gone into hiding are the STELLER'S JAYS, Eastern Gray Squirrels and the rabbits. The jays only duck their head when one of the hawks dives at them and squirrels completely ignore them. The hawks can be seen swooping in every couple of minutes and even chasing each other through our woods. Today after several hours of watching this Susan and I were surprised to see a juvenile NORTHERN GOSHAWK swoop in and pounce on one of the unwary squirrels. When the squirrel was dead the goshawk flew away with it's prey, I wonder if the other squirrels will be watching the air tomorrow?

Wilson Cady
Washougal, WA