[Tweeters] Discovery Park Mixed Flock - Unknown warbler

Jordan Gunn uwjag21 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 07:44:19 PDT 2010

I was at Discovery Park yesterday 10/18 on a long birding walk and on the
southwest side of the loop trail, just north of where a trail breaks off heading
down to lighthouse by a battered "caution: sink hole" sign placed in an orange
cone I ran into a mixed flock of both Kinglets, both Chickadees, Bushtits, two
Townsend's Warblers (male and female), and this other warbler: From the rear a
dull yellow was noticeable on the rump, wings, and flanks, so I thought
Golden-crowned Kinglet when I first saw this view, but then I saw a grayish
warbler face/bill with a *pinched* eye look. It looked sort of like a very dull
Nashville or MacGillivray's with the obvious yellow and gray body, but on this
bird the changing from yellow into a more grayish head was subtle, and it had
nothing like the white eye markings of either of those birds. I first thought it
looked a lot like a Tennessee Warbler, but the closest other bird I thought of
was Warbling Vireo. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo because I don't carry a
camera around right now. I got good looks but don't have a lot of experience
with this species. Apparently the most likely for confusion is Orange-crowned
Warbler or a vireo, both probably as unlikely right now as Tennessee Warbler.

Jordan Gunn
Seattle, WA
uwjag21 at yahoo.com