[Tweeters] Birding Western WALLA WALLA COUNTY

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Sat Oct 30 18:20:00 PDT 2010

Hello All,

It was a gray and rainy day as we visited our usual birding spots. Birds of note are as follows:

College Place - our home:
COMMON REDPOLL -1 bird - in with 50+ Pine Siskins that have been here several weeks.

Lowden Gardena Rd.:
Prairie Falcon -1 ad.
Say's Phoebe - 1 bird
Eurasian-collared Dove - 94 birds - most we have ever seen in a day in Walla Walla County - and we weren't especially looking for them.

Wallula Gap:
Common Loon - 26 birds
Western Grebe - 16
Horned Grebe - 4

Poop Piles:
Franklin's Gull - 1 adult, 1 subadult
Bonaparte's Gull - 1 adult
Glaucous-winged Gull - 7
Herring Gull - 13
Western Gull - 2
Ring-billed Gull - 1000
California Gull - 40
Brewer's Blackbird - 900
Brown-headed Cowbird - 11
Yellow-headed Blackbird - 1 pair
Red-winged Blackbird - 140

Casey pond:
ROSS'S GEESE - 2 birds- at mile post 300
Greater White-fronted Geese - 8
Cackling Geese - 35
Eurasian Wigeon - 2 drakes

Peninsula HMU:
Bald Eagle - first of the season
Tundra Swan - heard flyovers - first of season
Am. White Pelican - 27
Am. Coot - 3000+
Redheads - 65+
Lots of both scaup, RN Duck, Am.Wigeon, Gadwall, N. Pintail.

Two Rivers HMU:
Great Egret - 2

WE are mostly dry and ready to go looking for eastern Blue Jays in the morning.

That is it . Have a great evening.
M & MLD

Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the beautiful Walla Walla Valley

"If you haven't birded, you haven't lived"