[Tweeters] Basin migrant traps, 9/8/10

Michael Woodruff crazybirder98 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 22:23:05 PDT 2010

I poked around in the Columbia Basin today. Started out at McNary NWR where we spent a couple hours looking for the Canada Warbler. No luck, as posted by MerryLynn earlier today. Migrants were very scarce both here and at my next stop, Windust Park.

I birded with Charlie Wright, Ryan Merrill, Tom Aversa, & Brad Waggoner at Lyons Ferry for most of the afternoon. Migrant numbers were much better, and the wind was almost zero. We had some good birds including a few each of Vaux's Swifts and White-throated Swifts, a Golden Eagle, Gray Catbird, Fox Sparrow, 6 warbler species, 5 empids (Gray, Dusky, Hammond's, Western, & Willow), a Bullock's Oriole, 60 Chipping Sparrows, and a Lark Sparrow. Accipiters and swallows were really on the move.

After a quick check of Palouse Falls, where we had a nice Slate-colored Fox Sparrow, I headed for home. A good day out and fun birding with friends.

Michael Woodruff
Spokane, WA