[Tweeters] Vaux's swifts

Kathy Andrich chukarbird at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 12 10:58:53 PDT 2010

Hi Dianne and Tweeters,

I went to the Selleck swift site last night and after about half of the swift went down a largish flock of maybe a thousand bird appeared from the sw, not sure if it could have been some of your birds. Selleck is near the foothills and birds could probably be funneled in based on topography more than anything else. Most of the birds seemed to stream in from the south. No raptors noted but the swifts seemed to be restless and easily spooked. The last batch had to wait to enter--wondering if the ones inside had to move down. It was a lot of fun and closer to home for me than Monroe.

Bob Stallcop was the official counter and after the first 7000 he gave the small audience each 1000 additional in so we could get a feel for the numbers. It was the highest count ever for Selleck, 17,591. Wonder how many will be there tonight? Based on their restless behavior I bet a lot make the move south today.

Thanks to Bob's Facebook updates I am glad I decided to go.

Kathy
Andrich
chukarbird a yahoo com