[Tweeters] windows strikes and salvage

Gary Shugart gshugart at ups.edu
Thu Apr 7 09:11:29 PDT 2011

Hi all: American Bird Conservancy (http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/collisions/index.html) provides an update to Sibley's mortality estimates (http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/) where the estimate of window kill I use of 97-980 million. The ABC site has a rather dramatic picture I was trying to locate for Christine of Toronto window kills plus summaries of recent research on wind turbine mortality.

If a bird does die, bag it with date and location, freeze it and drop it off at your local natural history museum. More instructions are available at Slater Museum or Burke Museum websites. Salvage birds, even robins, provide much needed material for biological archives of species occurrences in time and space, genetic resources, material for stable isotope analysis, and data on molt & plumages, to name a few uses.

Gary Shugart, Slater Museum of Natural History, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma & Vashon Island.