[Tweeters] Unknown bird

George Schairer gus at gschairer.com
Sun Aug 21 13:18:21 PDT 2011

Can anyone help me identify this bird that came to our feeder yesterday? Most like a Say's Phoebe or American Robin in size and coloring, but had definite white patches on its tail (or wings) about midway between the tip and the body. It flew in with a darker bird and joined the Black-Headed Grosbeaks, juncos, towhees, and sparrows foraging on the ground under the feeders. I barely got the glasses on it before it was startled by the sudden arrival of a brown squirrel and flew away. Any ideas?