[Tweeters] Neah Bay pelagic highlights, photos

Ryan Merrill rjm284 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 19:04:16 PDT 2011

The WOS Conference pelagic trip out of Neah Bay lucked out on Saturday
August 20th, with no fog and calm seas making for a rare trip when
nobody got sick. While diversity was on the low side, there were some
excellent highlights including a cooperative flock of about 600
Sabine's Gulls and great views of Pomarine Jaeger, Tufted Puffin, Sea
Otter, Steller's Sea Lion, and a Humpback Whale. After circling
Tatoosh Island while passing Cape Flattery we looked up to a mixed
flock of Black and Vaux's Swifts flying around in the sunshine.

Harlequin Duck - 2, Cape Flattery
Red-throated Loon - 2, offshore
Northern Fulmar - 200
Pink-footed Shearwater - 120
Sooty Shearwater - 85
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel - 2
Black Oystercatcher - 52, Cape Flattery
Red-necked Phalarope - 50
Sabine's Gull - 950
Pomarine Jaeger - 2
Common Murre - 1500
Pigeon Guillemot - 60
Cassin's Auklet - 2
Rhinocerous Auklet - 200
Tufted Puffin - 30
Black Swift - 25, Cape Flattery
Vaux's Swift - 3, Cape Flattery
Rufous Hummingbird - 2, offshore
Brown-headed Cowbird - 1, offshore

My photos from the trip are online:

I also uploaded some other recent photos from Skagit including the
Hudsonian Godwit, a couple male White-tailed Ptarmigan, and a
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch:

Ryan Merrill