[Tweeters] Birding the shores of Greece and Turkey

Teresa Michelsen teresa at avocetconsulting.com
Wed Aug 24 07:54:12 PDT 2011

I was on a cruise to the same area recently and used the 2nd Ed Birds of
Europe described below, along with "Birds of the Mediterranean, A
Photographic Guide" by Paul Sterry. I found the two together quite useful -
the smaller photo guide when I was out and about, and the larger, more
definitive guide as backup and reference in my stateroom.

I second the Bosphorus Strait advice. If you have any ability at all to take
a small boat trip through the straits, do it. I went in misty, cloudy,
near-dusk weather and still saw lots of great birds. The cruises usually
offer them if you are stopping in Istanbul, or you can find many tour guides
offering them down by the cruise docks. - Teresa Michelsen, Olymipa