[Tweeters] Skylarking mid- Sept. near Saanichton

Adam Sedgley sedge.thrasher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:15:55 PDT 2011

Below is what Ann Nightingale sent out to a similar query last year. I was
able to flush one Sky Lark by walking the tractor fields at the bulb fields
when I tried for them a year ago. They are hard to locate when they aren't
singing in spring.

Good luck!

Adam

-------

Adam Sedgley
S e a t t l e, WA
sedge.thrasher [at] gmail [dot] com

The Sky Lark population is alive but dwindling on the Saanich Peninsula
north of Victoria. The best locations to see and hear this species are****

**1) **the Vantrieght bulb fields on Central Saanich Rd, north of Mt.
Newton X Rd. The fields across from the greenhouses have the highest
numbers.****

**2) **The Victoria Airport. There are several locations around the
airport where the birds can be seen and heard from the fenced area. The
field with the Sky Lark information sign is not usually productive.****

**3) **Martindale Flats—agricultural fields off Lochside Dr between
Island View Rd and Dooley Rd.****

** **

As noted by the previous poster, please don’t walk on cultivated fields.
The farm owners have allowed birders and walkers to use the tractor paths
and roads, however.****

** **

I’ve marked the best locations on this map:****

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106274788507645714811.0004878bc3e2d8a979fe8&z=12