[Tweeters] Pt. Edwards raptors 8-11-11

Bill Anderson billandersonbic at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 14 01:47:36 PDT 2011

On Thursday (8/11) my son and I ate lunch at one of the Pt. Edwards viewpoints on Pine St. in the hopes of catching a resident eagle making its midday patrol over Edmonds.   What we saw was much better.

A merlin began dive bombing a juvenile Cooper's hawk which was perched in the eagle's tree.   The juvie took off, only to be pursued by the merlin.   The juvie joined up with another Cooper's hawk to fly midday circles over  town, but the merlin did not break off the pusuit of the first hawk.

Unfortunately, much of the action occurred south of Pine St. and I was shooting into the sun with my Canon 7D and big honkin' lens.  Most of the shots were backlit to the point of being silhouettes and admittedly poor, but they were my first of a merlin and the circumstances were unique.
Bill Anderson; Edmonds, WA. USA