[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 8/24/11

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Aug 25 07:10:33 PDT 2011

Tweets,

Yesterday 16 of us enjoyed a quiet walk at Nisqually on a warn, sunny day.
It actually got hot by the time we finished. We were on a low tide so no
much out on the new boardwalk.

Highlights included a couple of COOPER'S HAWKS and a VIRGINIA RAIL chick.

It was pretty quiet around the visitor's center and along the boardwalk to
the twin barns, but we did find a mixed flock of passerines that included
WILSON'S WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, WARBLING VIREO, BROWN CREEPER, BUSHTIT,
and BEWICK'S WREN.

The COOPER'S HAWKS were out over the restoration area and the VIRGINIA RAIL
chick was seen in the cattails out near the start of the new boardwalk.

Water levels are really low so not much else was in evidence until the
tribe blew the remaining part of the dike on the Pierce County side of the
Nisqually River. An estimated 500 ducks emerged from the cattails with the
reverberation of the detonations and circled the area and/or headed off to the
North. The vast majority of them were MALLARDS.

Some of the fields have been hayed so I expect NORTHERN HARRIERS and
RED-TAILED HAWKS will make their way back to the refuge. We managed to spot one
of each yesterday.

All told we saw 47 species with nothing new for the year.

Mammals seen were BLACK-TAILED DEER, MUSKRATS, and LONG-TAILED WEASEL.

Until next week......

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 @aol.com
Lacey, WA