[Tweeters] Fw: [inland-NW-birders] Merlin and more

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Sun Aug 28 18:53:26 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike & MerryLynn
To: inland-nw-birders at uidaho.edu
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2011 6:13 PM
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Merlin and more

Hello all,
Mike and I were just outside watching a thunderstorm roll in - unfortunately we didn't get any rain but a Merlin flew around the yard a few times then landed across the street - it has been there for an hour now - preening. Very unusual sighting for August in Walla Walla Co. Picture on my flikr site - http://www.flickr.com/photos/m-ml_wallawalla/ Also had many Vaux's Swifts and a few Swainson's Hawks floating above.
We had our first WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS of the fall in our yard already on 8-25-2011.

This morning on the Walla Walla River delta:
Western Sandpipers - 1,150
Least Sandpipers - 15
Semipalmated Plover - 1
Long-billed Dowitcher - 8
Lesser Yellowlegs - 8
Greater Yellowlegs - 1
Red-necked Phalarope - 1
Killdeer - 2
Osprey - 3
Yellow-headed Blackbirds - 40
Virginia Rail - 1 heard

2Rivers HMU:
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER - 1 adult male still here
Forster's Tern - 1
Western Sandpipers - 800+
Least Sandpiper - 5
Lesser Yellowlegs - 8
Greater Yellowlegs - 1
Western Grebe - 5
Pied-billed Grebe - 8
Horned Grebe - 3
Common Loon - 1 in alternate plumage
Peregrine Falcon - 1 subadult
Chipping Sparrow - 2
MacGillivray's Warbler - 2 males

Wallula HMU:
Gray Catbird - 1
White-crowned Sparrow - 1

Later, M&M

Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the beautiful Walla Walla Valley

"If you haven't birded, you haven't lived"