[Tweeters] RFI - Recent Swainsons Hawk, Washington

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 09:00:14 PST 2011

Jeremy and Marv,

Quite a few years ago I was quite amazed to see an immature Swainson's Hawk near Reifel Refuge in southern BC late in fall, I think late November. Like you, I knew it was rare west of the Cascades and shouldn't be around in winter.

I did some checking and found that people associated with the refuge had raised a nestful (several birds) of orphaned Swainson's Hawk chicks (from interior BC) through the summer and had just released them! I have no idea what happened to those birds, in a place and season to which they weren't really adapted. I suspected their chances of survival weren't high.

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is something to keep in mind when we see any bird out of range and/or season. We routinely treat exotic waterfowl in the wild as obviously escaped or released from captivity, but it's harder to reach such a conclusion with a native species.

Dennis
-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.